Navigating families through rough times.

Your initial ½ hr
consult is FREE

We get that separation, and everything that follows is difficult. 

At McNamara Law all Family Law matters are treated on a case by case basis. You will always receive personal attention and understanding of your situation. We aim to resolve your matter in the most cost-efficient and effective way, ensuring your rights and the rights of your children are protected.

Ready to make
a start?


How We Help

Divorce means the ending of a marriage, and is separate to doing a property division and to making parenting arrangements for children.

In Australia there is a “no fault” system of divorce with the only condition to seeking a Divorce is that the parties to the marriage have been separated for 12 months.

Once you have been separated for 12 months you can institute proceedings for Divorce.  A joint application (signed by both parties) can be made if the parties agree to make the application.  If there is no agreement in relation to parenting or property settlement matters, you can file your divorce application as soon as the 12 months after separation has expired.

N.B  once your Divorce becomes absolute that you only have 12 months in which to institute proceedings for property settlement otherwise you will only be able to seek property settlement if you are given a time extension by leave of the Court (which may be refused or granted depending on the circumstances).

Frequently asked questions

Q: Can I make an application for divorce while still living under the same roof as my ex-partner?

A: Divorce Applications can be made while parties have been separated but living under the same roof, or where there has been a period of resuming the relationship and further separation.

Q: I would like to know more about the process

A: A Divorce Application is filed in the Federal Circuit Court and there is a filing fee payable to the Court.  In certain circumstances the Applicant can apply to the Court for a reduction in the filing fee.

Once the Application is filed in the Court, the registry will nominate a Court date.

If the Application is made solely by one party without the other party signing the application, it will need to be served on the other party.  Service can initially be attempted either personally or by post, however, if the party being served does not sign and return an acknowledgement of service they will have to be served personally.

If you are the sole Applicant, and there are children under the age of 18, you will need to appear at the Court date. If there are no children under 18 the Court can consider the application on the papers without the need for either party to appear as long as service on the other party has been proved.

If you are a Respondent to an application and have been served with the application, you only need to appear in Court or file material in response of the application if you object to the Divorce being granted.

One month after the Court date the Divorce becomes absolute. The Court then posts the Divorce Order to the parties at their nominated address for service.


Helpful Links

Get In Touch

Contact us to discuss your situation and best course of action. We understand your time is valuable and offer consultations via Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams or phone call. Let McNamara Law help you find your legal solution today!

Ipswich (07) 3816 9555

Springfield (07) 3470 3600

Gatton (07) 5462 1566

Experienced lawyers navigating families through tough times

Copyright 2020 McNamara Law. Site by Digimedia Worx | Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation (personal injury work exempted)